Understanding the stages of a complaint and the Ombudsman services
Before you escalate a complaint to the Ombudsman make sure you have followed the process below:
- You have told your landlord about the problem.
The first step is to report the problem to us. We might be able to put things right. We have our own complaints procedures that is easy to use, fair and designed to put things right.
- Complain to a designated person.
If you are unable to resolve your complaint through Tuntum’s complaints procedures you can contact a designated person who can also help find a solution. The designated person can be an MP, a local councillor or our Independent Complaints Panel. Their role is to help resolve disputes between tenants and their landlords which they can do in whatever way they think is most likely to work. If the designated person cannot help they can refer a complaint to the Ombudsman. If you have decided not to contact a designated person you can go directly to the Ombudsman eight weeks after your landlord has given you its final response to your complaint.
- Escalate your complaint to the Ombudsman.
The Ombudsman will deal with each complaint to find the best outcome for your individual circumstances. Once they receive your complaint they may:
- Refer the case to a different organisation if it is an issue they cannot make a decision about because it is not in their jurisdiction
- Work with you and your landlord to resolve the dispute under their early resolution procedure. For example they can use their experience of resolving complaints to make suggestions to the landlord and/or the resident if they believe there is a way to resolve the complaint
- Carry out an investigation; they only do this for those complaints where they decide an investigation is proportionate to the circumstances and evidence before us, for example complex complaints involving many issues.
The Housing Ombudsman contact details:
Housing Ombudsman Service
PO Box 152
Telephone: 0300 11 3000
Their website has an on-line complaints form or you can e mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Videos on making a complaint
This series of videos will help you make a complaint to your landlord and explain how to make a complaint to the Ombudsman if you remain dissatisfied after that. We hope you find them helpful.